#55 The Best Tips from an Amazing Funder at Marisla Foundation with Sara Lowell, Marine Program Director and Trustee, The Marisla FoundationDec 13, 2021
Sara Lowell, Marine Program Director and Trustee of The Marisla Foundation, joins me this week and I am excited for you all to listen to her discuss her special approach as a funder and the unique opportunities she had to navigate being a staffer at her family’s private foundation. Additionally, she’ll share special tips that will help you get as much money as you can out the door so your grantees can go out there and do their good work.
Just because something is outside of the norm, doesn’t mean you can’t give money away effectively, and Sara and The Marisla Foundation is proof of that. Stay tuned to this conversation so you can learn more about how you can successfully give out grants and support your nonprofits with the least amount of overhead as possible.
- Sara’s early involvement in philanthropy and marine conservation
- Marisla’s strategic approach of maintaining a slim staff while administering sizable grants
- Pitfalls to avoid when applying an institutional low overhead model
- How she helped nonprofits move the needle on issues by starting funder collaboratives
- What she’s learned from being engaged with her family’s foundation, both as a family member and staffer
- Her advice for fellow donors based on her years of experience as one
Links referenced in this podcast:
- Read more about The Marisla Foundation’s program information by clicking here.
- Oceans 5 is an international funders’ collaborative dedicated to protecting the world’s five oceans. Click here to learn more about their approach.
- Click here to connect with Plastics Solutions Fund, another international funder collaborative that promotes large-scale and permanent solutions to plastic pollution.
If you enjoyed this episode, listen to these as well:
- #54 The True Elements of a Successful Funder Collaboration to Make a Difference in the World with Heather Tuininga, Principal, 10/10 Strategies
- #53 Learn from a Funder Who Has Worn Many Hats with Lisa Jaguzny, Senior Program Director, Biodiversity Funders Group
- #52 Sybil Speaks: Fund Amazing Coalitions the Right Way
Crack the Code: Sybil’s Successful Guide to Philanthropy
Become even better at what you do as I teach you the strategies as well as the tools you’ll need to avoid mistakes and make a career out of philanthropy through my new course, Crack the Code!
In this new course, you’ll gain access to beautifully animated and filmed engaging videos (one per week for a total of 8 weeks), and many more!
Check out her website soon with all the latest opportunities to learn from Sybil at www.doyourgood.com.
Connect with Do Your Good
Don’t forget to check out the #DoYourGoodChallenge and get a chance to win prizes as you give with a purpose!
Would you like to talk with Sybil directly?