#21 A Conversation with John Esterle, Co-Founder, Trust-Based PhilanthropyApr 19, 2021
Trust-based philanthropy is a peer-to-peer funder initiative created to address the inherent power imbalances between foundations and nonprofits.
In this episode, we’re going to unpack what trust-based philanthropy is all about and how you can use it in your giving practice, with the Co-Founder of Trust-Based philanthropy, John Esterle!
John is the Co-Executive Director at The Whitman Institute, an independent foundation in San Francisco with a mission to advance equity through funding dialogue, relationship-building and inclusive leadership.
Find out how trust-based philanthropy can redistribute power in service of a healthier and more equitable nonprofit sector as John shares his wisdom and expertise on it and how you can implement its principles in your charitable giving!
- John’s personal journey to philanthropy.
- The evolution of trust-based philanthropy.
- Best ways to leverage your funds.
- The steps and key components of trust-based philanthropy.
- How foundations can incorporate the concepts of trust-based philanthropy into their work.
- Building an ecosystem of trust between trustees and staff.
John Esterle, Co-Executive Director, The Whitman Institute
Links referenced in this Podcast:
- Trust-Based Philanthropy
- Center for Effective Philanthropy
- The Whitman Institute
- The Urgency of Trust-Based Philanthropy
If you enjoyed this episode, listen to these episodes as well
- #20 Think Outside the Box to Do Good in the World with Anne Swayne Keir, Donor Advisor, The Swayne Family Foundation Fund, and Ashley Lukens, Development Advisor, Ashley Lukens Consulting
- #19 Become an Effective Funder with Fred Ackerman-Munson, Executive Director, The 444S Foundation
- #18 Learn to Invest Sustainably From a Leader Who Was There at the Beginning with Carsten Henningsen, President, Progressive Investment Management Corp.
Make Your Money Matter - Learn How to Give with Purpose
In this fun, free and interactive training I will teach you how to effectively give your money to well-deserving charities. I bring over two decades of experience working with funders who have contributed over $45 million in donations large and small.
My step-by-step process will reduce your overwhelm, keep you from making costly mistakes, and help you make a real difference in the world.
I offer this free training every second Wednesday of the month. Space is limited for each training - thanks for signing up today.
Wednesday, May 12th - 5PM
Connect with Do Your Good
Don’t forget to check out the #DoYourGoodChallenge and get a chance to win prizes as you give with a purpose!
Would you like to talk with Sybil directly?
Well you are in luck! She has free monthly Webinars the second Wednesday of each month at 5PM Pacific Time - register in advance through her website www.doyourgood.com